Grahame Smith Biography
Clinical Counsellor – 30 years in mental health
Qualifications: Area Manager/Chaplain/Counsellor
Grahame was born the 2nd child of three children to farming parents, on a mixed cropping – cattle farm, located on the Cumberland Palin NSW Australia. He was educated in local schools and went to an Advanced College of Education to commence his tertiary education. Grahame after completing University was employed by NSW Government for 30 years in the field of conservation.
Grahame has 30 years of counselling experience in the community, the workplace and Christian denominations including individual and group-based counselling. He spent 15 years working for the University of Western Sydney as a course producer and coordinator for external studies and as a lecturer in Environmental Health. He also spent 12 years working for the Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors as a Trainer and Assessor for Counselling Students completing tertiary studies in counselling.
Grahame spent 6 years providing supervision services to the Australian Institute for Family Therapists supervising students in their final semesters for their Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Master’s Degree as they completed their first client’s case load.
He also worked in Government for 30 years as an Area Manager (NPWS) and Grievance Counsellor, specializing in resolving human resource management issues including resolution of conflict, bullying and safety breach investigations. He was also responsible for managing staff, critical incidents, law enforcement operations, implementation and application of legislation, major fire events and finances.
As an A.C.A Clinical Counsellor (Clinical- Level 4 member and member of ACA College of Clinical Counsellors) and as a trained and Registered Counselling Supervisor (with A.C.A College of Supervisors), he provides clinical supervision services to professional counsellors from a range of backgrounds. These backgrounds include Religious Counsellors/Pastors (he is a Member of ACA College of Christian Counsellors), Behavioural Counsellors and those who see themselves as eclectic in nature. He is a registered counsellor with Work Cover N.S.W. as an accredited provider of counselling services to injured workers.
Grahame has provided clinical supervision services to mental health staff working for the Department of Corrective Services N.S.W and provides counselling services to Department of Justice Victims of Crime. Grahame also provides counselling assistance to former prisoners as part of their parole conditions.
He is contracted to provide workplace counselling (EAP Counselling) to a wide range of employers along with providing chaplaincy services. Grahame also provider numbers for Medibank Private, BUPA, and Police Private Health Funds.
Importantly, he has hundreds of hours of face to face work with clients using EMIT/EMDR (including EMDR), as a means of assisting them to achieve their counselling goals, especially in the areas of trauma, anxiety, depression and suicidal ideation.
He was appointed Chaplain to Ausgrid (through Converge International) in 2013 and serviced Ausgrid for seven (7) years providing pastoral and clinical care to power industries staff and family.
He is a past President of the Professional Counselling Association of ACT-NSW and is the Convener of ACA’s Newcastle Branch, providing free group supervision to practitioners at Newcastle branch meetings. He focused much of his spare time over the years in negotiating with Government both at the State and Federal levels with the aim of increasing funding for mental health and to reduce the incidence of chronic mental health issues and minimize the number of people having to access the mental health medical system with an emphasis on prevention and early intervention.
Trauma Specific Training/Experience
- Level 4 EMIT/EMDR Practitioner and Trainer (2016),
- Advanced Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) Training – Professors George Everly and Jeffrey Mitchell
- Critical Incident Training Response – Converge International
- Humanities- BA Soc Sc (Counselling) (Human Resource Development) (Minor Mediation in Law) from Southern Cross University (S.C.U),
- Dip of Professional Counselling (Workplace) (Relationships) from the Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors (A.I.P.C),
- Dip.Career.Guide from Australian College of Career Guidance (A.C.C.G),
- Dip Applied Science (3 years) UWS
- Post Grad Dip Natural Resource Management UNE
- Clinical Supervision Training….A.I.P.C,
- Cert IV in Training and Assessment.
Public Service Awards:
- National Fire Service Medal with Second Cluster (35yrs Service)
- NPWS Service Medallion (30yrs Service)
- NPWS Service Medallion (20yrs Service)
Membership & Registrations:
- A.R.C.A.P Registered, A.C.A (Level 4), Prof M CDDA
- Registered Level 3 Counselling Supervisor with A.C.A College of Supervisors.
- Registered Level 1 Clinical Counsellor with A.C.A College of Clinical Counsellors.
- Registered as a Christian Counsellor with A.C.A College of Christian Counsellors
Areas of Counselling Specialties:
Trauma, Crisis, Critical Incident Stress, Relationship Issues, Clinical Supervision, Stress Management, Mediation and Conflict Resolution, Grief and Loss, Group Work and Training, Behavioural Difficulties, Spiritual and Personal Issues.
Other team member profiles:
David G Broadbent